Saturday, July 5, 2014

Happy Scare The Crap Out Of Dogs Day

My poor babies. Last night the fireworks scared my big bad dogs.

My border collie is a real tough guy. Reximux Maximus Aurelius the Third is the Alpha. He's the old guy and he lets everyone know this is his house,. He has a ferocious bark  which he uses to warn  all newcomers to be wary. Open the door and he will beat you to death with his wagging tail! That is, unless you mean to harm me! Flies will be on your body before it hits the ground! Twice he has taken on a strange man who had intent towards ill-will.  Twice the mean man has left with tail between his legs!

Then I have two blue-nose pit bull pups. They aren't really mine. I guess you could call me their grandma! They belong to my grandson. They live here because a mammoth oak tree decided to take a nap on my grandson's house . While making itself comfortable, the tree took out the fence. Immediately after that, my grandson and his Honey had a baby (c-section) and two big clumsy pups with no clue that they aren't lap dogs would not be conducive to fast mending.

The two pups, Kona and Thor, are about 150 pounds each. They look ferocious only because our culture says they are. I have had 6 labs over the years and these two boys are every bit as gentle and loving . They bark if someone approaches the door or house but only because they are excited that someone may be coming to relieve the boredom of hanging out with a grandma that doesn't want to play all day.

Post script on "play": Rex loves to play fetch and he would all day if allowed, though he does like to change up ropes and balls. Kona and Thor, on the other hand, enjoy watching me throw ropes and balls and then retrieve them myself! They do love tug of war, each with an end of the rope in their mouths, they will pull each other around for 5 or 10 minutes or until Rex says he wants it!

Fireworks last night at the civic auditorium!  Via river, the explosions are less than a quarter of a mile from my house. You can feel percussion on the biggest booms!

First explosion and all three dogs jumped for my lap. I'd gotten wrapped up in writing and had forgotten to give them a weenie-wrapped Benedryl to help calm them. Damn!

I sat on floor with all of them, reassuring them that all was well. Once convinced that the explosions were not going to "get them"  Kona and Thor wanted to go out and give the loud noises a what for! I opened the slider. We walked out to pool. Both boys gave out half-hearted barks, you know, the kind where you hope what you are barking at doesn't hear you! An especially big burst went off  accompanied by a spectacular display of sparkle in the sky, and the dogs raced back through the patio door faster than the speed of exploding light.

We sat on the floor a couple of more minutes assuring them that the big, bad light in the sky was not going to hurt them. They climbed up on the couch with Papa and watched the rest of a movie filled with shooting, cussing, bombs and  yelling without the tiniest of flinches. (men!)


Next year I need to remember the Benedryl!  Maybe I'll give some to husband, too, and watch a girly flick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play Nice!