Saturday, August 23, 2014

First Aid For Artists

If you wander around my house you will see murals, some high, some low.  The walls have different styles of textures, some made with trowels, some with whisk brooms, some with screw drivers and plastic bags. The backsplash behind my gas range is an original of much loved aspens. I create mandalas, plaster masks and I work with clay, pastels and watercolors.

My husband often warns visitors not to stand still too long or I will paint them; not a portrait but literally paint them.

Doing art and being an artist seem like two completely different things so I was surprised by an event on Tuesday afternoon, one of my granddaughters came to hang out with me.  She was sharing the excitement of the first couple of days of school.

"Mom says I don't have to have a Dtap shot!" she excitedly announced, as she reached down for a little blue plastic Fisher-Price doctor's kit the girls keep on one of the shelves of the coffee table.

"But, I think you should have one!" she says to me.

She opens the little plastic box that has a red cross painted on the top. She opens it and pulls out a yellow plastic otoscope (to look into ears). She checks my ears. "Yup," she says, "Just as I thought."

In true physician fashion, she doesn't tell me what she thought!

She then pulls out the the plunger/barrel part of a red plastic syringe. "Sorry, we're going to have to give you your Dtap, all 21 doses of it!"

Reaching back into the blue box, she pulls out a small woven bag filled with crayons! She reaches in for the green, installs it where the needle would go and gives me a little shot! She removes the green crayon, returns it to the bag and pulls out an orange crayon for my next dose.

"Lainy," I ask, "Why are there crayons in the doctor's kit?"

"It's a first aid kit, Nana, and you are an artist! Artists needs crayons in their first aid kit!" She smiled that big smile as she rolled her eyes, "Derrrr! Everyone knows that!"

So, I guess it's official. I am an artist because my first aid kit has crayons in it...24 crayons....because I am just that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play Nice!