Monday, September 29, 2014

Sleek Red Sofa

Have you ever asked yourself....and my guess is that you haven't....have you ever asked yourself, if you were a piece of furniture, what item would you be?

Yesterday, on HGTV, in one of the property hunting programs, a sleek, red sofa was in one of the rooms. The couple doing the hunting were looking for a place for a woman who couldn't do the search herself.

When their eyes spotted the sleek red sofa, they both "oohed" and said, "Whoa, she'll love that couch. If she were a piece of furniture, that's what she would be!"

It was pretty impressive! One the "searchers" was the woman's husband and, frankly, the sofa was pretty damn sexy. The design was contemporary with a low tufted red leather back, sleek edges and wide chaise off one side. Can you imagine someone comparing you to a sleek sexy item?

Made me think about what kind of furniture would I be.

The first picture to pop into my head was a window seat built into a bay window on the south side of a house. Warm sun streaming in, bookshelf built into sides; the seat able to be lifted up to hide and discover whimsical and magical items and books. Cushioned seat, lots of pillows, well-padded, comfy.

The troupes advised me I was visualizing a design element of a building rather than an item of furniture.

"Think "Home Goods" or "Stickley"!"

I promptly flipped them off, followed with "Think This!"

Was that me or was that Bea? Is it possible that the two of us are enmeshing?

Back on-track.

I would be a comfy over-stuffed chair with winged back and high, rounded arms for snuggling into. I know in my heart that I would not be a single color nor would I be a buffalo plaid.

The deep seat cushion would be a bright purple, turquoise and sea green in swirls and capricious geometric shapes. The edges of the cushions would be verticle stripes in the same colors. The overstuffed wings would be covered in purple polka dot on a turquoise background, the arms in a reverse pattern with the turquoise dots of different sizes. There would be 3 pillows; one a bright orange, one a deep purple and one with stars and moons in a dark purple night sky.

I'm thinking there should be a skirt on the chair (to hide dust bunnies and books that don't fit on the two side tables. The skirt should probably be the same vertical stripes as the cushion edges; there should be some control, right?

I would need to be an puffy square ottoman, tufted top matching chair cushion and the full skirting in vertical stripes though I should have piping in the polka dot purple and turquoise.

There is a little debate going on with the crew between fabric types; cotton vs microfiber!  Cotton is a natural fiber, it is soft and durable (sound like me) but it is not fade resistant, will wrinkle and is actually flammable (again, me!) I am already imaging some wrinkles in the cushion and a little natural wear on the arms.

Microfiber on the other hand is comfortable, forgiving, long-lasting and easy to clean (me!) Down-side of microfiber; it is a synthetic!


We're going with cotton!

What piece of furniture are you? Are you a seven piece sectional with several layout options? Could you be a stately four-poster bed with a pillow top and silk canopy?  Maybe you are stained-glass lamp with guilded base and a pull chain with a peacock knob on the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play Nice!